Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I was wrestling with dad and then....

The Doctor says, "Declan, what happened?" Declan replies, "I was wrestling with my Dad on the carpet and he picked me up and I falled down." 

Yup, that's exactly what happened Monday night. Tuesday morning, when I got him out of bed, the screaming started. Every time he moved his shoulder, he cried. It made for a very loud and frustrating morning. I managed to get the appointment line as soon as they opened and then made him an 8:30 am appointment. I was really hoping she'd say I over-reacted and a little rest and ibuprofen would make it all better. Not the case.

Next stop was radiology (at a different building, in a different city). And we did not have an appointment for that. By this point, Declan didn't want anyone picking him up because it hurt. I figured out a way to get him in and out of the car without jarring his shoulder. The tech said she saw a clavicle fracture, but they weren't sure about his shoulder, and that she wouldn't wait to see the orthopedic doctor. I had scheduled an appointment for Wednesday morning, but quickly rescheduled for 1:15 on Tuesday. While we were going from one doctor to the next, Declan's biggest concern was when I was going to eat lunch. I had packed his lunch for school and he was munching on his PBJ when he said, "Mommy, aren't you hungry? Let's find you some Chick Fil-A."

The orthopedic PA told us that it was just a clavicle fracture and that it would heal on its own. She predicted 4-6 weeks at the max, since he's so young. We'll be going back every 2 weeks for x-rays and to make sure the bone is healing completely. There are strict instructions to keep the sling on (which Declan was adamantly against) for 2 weeks and to stay away from playgrounds, bikes, swings, etc. Basically anything fun is out. This is one of those times I am so grateful Declan is a calm and somewhat rational 3 year old. He'll be ok with a lot of reading, coloring, crafts, movies, and snuggle times with me. I really hope we see some improvement in 2 weeks and he can start doing some more fun things.

Right now his biggest struggle was sleeping. He takes after me and is all over the place, and he had to learn to stay on his back, or at the least, not on his bad shoulder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment