Adapted from A Farm Girl's Dabble, taken from Once a Month Mom (and some revisions from me)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean Italian Sausage, chopped into 1-inch sections (I just used ground sausage)
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 4 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1.5 cups carrots, finely chopped (I omitted these entirely)
- 2 cans (28 oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 8 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Pasta - 8 ounces crushed lasagna pasta (for serving day)
Mix the cheeses together, separate into two sandwich bags, freeze flat, (with minimal air inside them).
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat, brown sausage then add onions until they are softened. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute. Mix in tomato paste, for a few more minutes. Add carrots, tomatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce for 30 minutes on simmer.
Then, when it cools, I divide it into 2 gallon sized freezer bags and then freeze it. And, right now, I think it tastes so good, I may not even add the pasta!
Nutritional Facts: Calories 282, Total Fat 15g, Sat Fat 6.6g, Total Carbs 15.1g, Fiber 2.4g, Protein 21,9g, Weight Watchers Points: 7