Friday, March 1, 2013

March Madness

On March 2nd, I will run my first half-marathon (13.1) miles and be able to cross a goal off my list. On March 3rd, I will run a 5k with my friend Robin to honor Fallen Arizona Law Enforcement Officials. After that, I plan to scale back my running a bit. I want to focus on weight training and reducing body fat. I've made a lot of progress on losing weight and shaping my body to be more healthy. I'm going to take the next 12 weeks and focus on that, instead of mileage.

Don't get me wrong, I still plan to run, at least 3 times a week, averaging 10-15 mile weeks for the next 12 weeks. But my focus will be on weight training and eating healthy. I purchased a 3-day a week program from Busy Mom Gets Fit. She's a mom of 4 boys and an army wife, and in incredible shape. She designed this program for 30-45 minutes, 3 days a week of strength training at the gym.

Eating healthy is not a huge problem for me, I'm slowly getting all the areas of my diet to line up. I eliminated soda in February. I increased my water intake and am slowly taking all other beverages out of my diet. With my fascination with freezer cooking, we eat healthy meals much more often. I just need to keep on doing it. My awesome Running Mom friends and I are embarking on a Go Green March Challenge. We will add one serving of something green (veggies or fruit) each week in March. Week 1, add one serving; Week 2 add two servings, etc. Hopefully green food becomes the staple for snacks, and not snacky food.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are in the gym. Tuesday and Thursday will be speed work/shorter runs. And Saturday or Sunday will be my longer run, 6-8 miles probably. I want to really work on my speed so I can improve my race times. I also want to be ready to run a 10k at any point, and to jump back into half-marathon training whenever I'm ready.

I think all the pieces together will really help me get to where I want to be by June. Oh, and to add to my daily schedule, I'm going to work on this challenge as well. I'm skipping the 2nd though, and I don't feel bad about that at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment