Friday, November 30, 2012

Upcycle: Jeans to Skirt

Abigail wore this pair of jeans last week, and I knew it would be the last time before there were full out holes in it. My crafty mind took over and I thought, shorts? Nah, she has plenty of shorts. A skirt? Yes! So, here is my step-by-step. 
Step 1: Cut the pants (always with a rotary cutter) right above where the hole is, or will start. Do not throw them away.
Step 2: Rip the seams from the inner leg to the crotch. 
Steps 1 and 2

Step 3: Cut the bottom of the pants at the outer seam and use the back of the leg. Iron it flat, and cut off the hem.
Step 3

Step 4: Pin the leg pieces to the inside of the pants. Its a little tricky to see here, but you want to line up the crotch piece and then sew going down each "leg piece."

Step 4

Step 5: Sew it. I sewed it with white thread as I wasn't worried about what that seam looked like.
Step 5

Step 6: Iron it flat. Trim or cut to make it straight across or curved, as is your preference.
Step 6

Step 7: Either hem the skirt, or continue in my (semi-cheating) technique of adding a girly ruffle.

To make the ruffle: I picked a piece of fabric, made it 5 inches wide and however long (definitely longer than the 28 inches I needed. Folded it in half and sewed a ruffle stitch. (Make the tension the highest it can go and make the stitch length the widest. Then just sew.) I then pinned it, right sides together, and then sewed. Ironed it flat and Viola!

Finished Product








No comments:

Post a Comment