Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Last night I made a new recipe, using a vegetable I've been intimidated by in the past. I just trusted the directions and went for it. It was fantastic! My kids loved it, my husband took more for lunch today, it was awesome. I imagine this will be part of our regular meal rotation.

Spaghetti Squash Casserole
spaghetti squash (I will explain how I cooked it in directions)

Veggies (I chopped these and froze them during one of my meal prep sessions, and took them out to thaw in the morning)

  • red pepper, diced
  • zucchini, diced
  • carrot, shredded (I used two)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • tomato, diced
16 oz tomato sauce (I used a veggie one, with mushrooms, etc.)
4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan (not really necessary)

1. Put the squash in the microwave, whole for 1 to 2 minutes. Cut it in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and the stringy membranes. Put the halves face down in a baking dish (microwave safe) and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water. Put in microwave for 12-14 minutes (8 min each half if you need to do it in parts). When it is done, it will shred easily with a fork and resemble spaghetti noodles. Scoop out all the "spaghetti" with a fork and place in a 9x13 baking dish. 

2. Preheat oven to 350.

3. Saute veggies in 2T olive oil.

4. Add veggies and tomato sauce to the squash, stir.

5. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake for 30 minutes.

6. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment