Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Motherhood: Amazing Changes in Lifestyle

Often times I forget how much my life has changed in the last three years, and especially in the last 18 months. I forget about how simple, easy, and yes, even boring life was before I had kids. This morning, for example, I awoke at 0430 to drive a friend to the airport. It took me 5 minutes to go from sleeping to walking out the door, with a fresh cup of coffee in my hand. I think my record for leaving the house with two kids is 20 minutes.

I notice other changes, too. Like my morning TV time used to be FoxNews, or when DH is home, ESPN. Now, it is fully consumed by Veggie Tales and the Disney Channel. Daily activities were planned at the last minute and I never had to think about being home in time for naps or whether I could fit any other car seats into my car. I was in complete control of my life and my schedule.

So why does it feel so much better to have these little ones run my life? Because there are moments throughout the day when I can see the difference it makes. I can see how much they love me. I can see how spending 30 minutes at night reading the same books over and over again, or trudging through another Dr. Seuss book will mold them into the readers we are.

Whenever I am having a "woe is me" mother moment, I will pause to reflect on the hugs I get in the morning and the kisses I get before bedtime each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment