Sunday, November 13, 2011

This Running Mom, Next Step: 10k

As many of you know, I've been dabbling in the running world for the last 18 months or so (mostly since Abigail was born) and I've accomplished a lot in that time frame. I've ran several 5k and I keep improving my time. My end goal is a half marathon, 13.1 miles in May 2012. 

Friday morning, DH was off (for Veteran's Day, his own very special holiday!) and so we decided to take the kids to the park. He drove them there, I left about 15 minutes earlier and ran there. It was my best run, EVER. No, I'm not exaggerating, not even a little bit. I ran 2.5 miles in 27 minutes. The route was hilly, as is most of this area, but it was a good run. I run 4 minutes, walk 2 and it really worked for me. I was on cloud nine all day. This carried over into the weekend and I have charted my next course.... a 10k. 

6.1 miles in 8 weeks. I can do this! I found a training plan online, consisting of 3 runs a week, 2 cross-training sessions, 2 strength sessions and one glorious Rest day. I'm switching the long runs from Sunday to Saturday, but you've got the idea. The bigger challenge is to find a 10k race in mid-January, but never fear. Worst case scenario, I plot a course, give DH a stop watch and go for it. 

I'll be sure to report in after my next 5k, which coincidentally coincides with my first 3 mile long run in my training program, this Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment